JOIN OUR TEAM
Thank you for your interest in joining Ronald McDonald House Charities Wichita!
Position Title: Development Director
Supervisor Title: CEO
Direct Reports: None
The Development Director is an essential position for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Wichita, Inc. as the organization seeks to increase its fundraising capacity, diversify its revenue streams, and think strategically about new ways to fundraise. The Development Director will oversee strategic fundraising plans which will encompass individual giving, corporate giving, grant writing, and other revenue streams. This position is both strategic in nature and is hands on in daily fundraising work.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES/JOB TASKS may include:
Strategy and Management
· Create and develop strategic and comprehensive fundraising plans for all
revenue streams for the organization in coordination with the organization’s strategic plan. This position is directly responsible for the daily implementation of these plans.
· Analyze the organization’s emphasis and reliance on specific revenue streams and make improvement recommendations that are achievable.
· Analyze database, and other resources giving records, to determine opportunities to enhance relationships with current and prospective donors and produce positive giving outcomes.
· Research individuals, foundations and corporations for affinity, propensity and capacity for potential funding.
· Optimize usage of donor database.
· Measure and report development goals and objectives achievements and accomplishments and re-adjust strategies as necessary. Position Metrics include in-person visits, meaningful contacts, proposals/applications, and dollars raised.
· Support the Board’s Development Committee.
· Create and aggressively implement a plan to manage relationships, recognize, and steward current and prospective donors from all sources.
• Identify, cultivate, secure and retain major donors ($5,000+). Directly responsible for a portfolio of individual and corporate donors; securing gift targets on an annual basis.
• Actively identify new sources of revenue and potential revenue streams, establish business relationships/partnerships, make decisions about the extent of pursuing those relationships, and secure those sources of revenue.
• Contribute to the team responsible for the execution of all fundraising and philanthropic activities.
• Work with the team to set annual fundraising revenue and related fundraising expenditure budgets.
• Secure event sponsorships in the amount of $5,000+ and work with Events and Volunteer Director to secure all other sponsorships.
• In conjunction with the Marketing and Fundraising Director, increase direct mail revenue by a minimum of 5% annually through new donor acquisition and renewal strategies.
• Identify and accomplish grant writing activities for the organization. Work with appropriate staff on budgets, financial, and program data requirements. Hit deadlines for applications and reporting.
• Ensure all donors are recognized and stewarded appropriately.
• Work with Operations Director to determine how to meet in-kind needs and the funding of new and ongoing program and facility’s needs. Work to secure in-kind donations of services and products to offset expenses. Ensure those companies are thanked and stewarded appropriately.
• Work collaboratively with entire RMHC Wichita team to increase their knowledge and proficiency with fundraising, and donor stewardship.
• Achieve or exceed specified and budgeted fundraising goals.
Ancillary Job Functions
· With the Development Committee Chair, plan the agenda and help lead the committee to accomplish their strategic goals.
· Provide support to the Board of Directors in their fundraising efforts and the fulfillment of their responsibilities to open doors, connect the organization with individuals and groups, and secure financial contributions.
· Stay up to date with emerging trends and best practices in philanthropy.
· Serve as a staff liaison to assigned Board committees.
· Provide tours, schedule speaking engagements, and other public relations activities.
· Project professional image at all times.
· Attends weekly staff meetings.
· Perform duties outside of normal responsibilities, as needed.
· All other duties as required.
(Handle all information in a confidential manner. Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned by supervisor will be performed in order to address unexpected situations or needs that may arise.)
This position deals with a diverse group of important external and internal contacts at all levels of the organization. Accuracy, confidentiality, and accountability is paramount. Some tasks designated in the strategic plan need to be completed with the CEO or with a team. Obtaining information from others on a regular basis is necessary to complete job tasks. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload. Recommends changes in strategy, goals, objectives, processes and procedures. Additionally, negotiation, persuasion, and diplomacy skills are required daily in addressing the concerns and questions of the CEO, employees, volunteers, donors, and external callers and vendors.
This position impacts the financial stability of the organization. It also includes applying business management principles to obtaining financial and in-kind assets for the organization. Impact affects internal systems and external relationships. Recommendations of processes, procedures and policies. Decision making on budgets. Impact on people and organizational sustainability and success.
Duties are determined, defined, or assigned with flexibility in scheduling and accomplishing job tasks. Independent problem solving is expected but may be accomplished in conjunction with the CEO. May make purchases within scope of work and budgetary limitations.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree, required and a minimum of 5 years of individual fundraising experience and/or sales preferred.
· Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the Charity, required.
· Ability to think proactively and respond appropriately, required.
· Strong ability to think strategically and analytically and to problem solve, required.
· Strong ability to work under limited supervision, both independently and as a team member, required.
· A track record as an exceptional communicator, in writing as well as verbally; a good listener and strategist, required.
· Must have a strong personal presence with the ability to represent the charity effectively, required.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff and the general public, required.
· Must be willing to day travel, required.
· Must be available to work hours outside of the normal business hours as needed, required.
· Proficient with computer database, word processing programs, Microsoft Suite and Google Suite, required. Experience using Virtuous software, preferred.
· Strong data collection and analysis skills to track fundraising progress, required.
· Adhere to strict confidentiality and privacy requirements, required.
· Creative and artistic use of resources within a limited budget, required.
· Flexibility with regard to work assignments and changing priorities, required.
· Ability to see change as an opportunity rather than an obstacle, required.
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, required.
· Highly motivated and ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team, required.
· Regular and predictable attendance, required.
· Passion for serving the Mission of RMHC Wichita, required.
• Minimum of 5 – 8 years of individual experience, required.
• The ideal candidate could have experience in sales, entering sales into a CRM, and/or having monthly/yearly sales goals to meet.
• Non-profit experience, preferred.
• Must have a proven track record of success, required.
• Experience in a major gift environment, evidence of successfully building a portfolio through cold calls, evidence of major gifts closed from cold call activity, and must have experience with stewardship techniques, required.
• Experience managing multiple projects concurrently, demonstrating a sense of urgency, results oriented, meets deadlines and achieves goals.
• An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
Valid KS driver’s license and a good driving record.
Computers and office equipment.
· The physical demands are described in the comprehensive job description and are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ongoing training as required by the organization.
Office environment. If attendance at events is required, may be indoors or outdoors, possibly in inclement weather.
The above information is intended to describe the most important aspects of the job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required in order to perform the work.
Please email Susan Smythe, CEO at email@example.com with your information and resume for more information.